Interior Design

Big girl room reveal

This may very well be my favorite present I have ever given anyone. I wrote all about my favorite gift ever HERE.
I knew I wanted this space to transition from 8 to 18 if it needed to. So no themes, which I am not a big fan of anyway, and good mature colors. I knew I wanted a shiplap or wood detail 3/4 of the way up but wasn’t sold on my exact plan. That’s where Ty came in with this idea to router his own shiplap look into 1/4” mdf and then frame it out with a thick wainscoting. I made him add the shelf around the top so I could easily lean as many Finders Keepers Floral prints as I wanted! Ha

We had that beautiful vintage bed and I decided that is where I would add one of Peight’s favorite colors, it is a spray paint I found at Home Depot called, MINT.

I had been using that white vintage bedding as a bed skirt and decided to put it on top again! I still have my Beddy’s Beds underneath because it is just so comfy!

The color pallet for this room all came from this rug I found on rugs usa. The colors were youthful and bright, and I knew Peight would love them.

I had been wanting some shop woven Pillows and reached out to my friend of a friend, turned actual friend, to see if she could get me some in time for the big reveal. I chose those second and then added in the ikea duvet to help bring all of the colors together.

Now I just needed to decide what to do above the wainscoting and thought about doing this amazing scallop treatment I found on Classy Clutter Blog,  but after trying it, I realized I hated the gray walls and my wall texture made it look wonky. Back to the drawing board. I pulled out my color wheel from behr and started trying to decide.Some decisions come easy and others I have to marinate on, this was one of the latter. I didn’t like and of the blues, because between the bed frame and pillows and cool pinks, that would just be more of the same.

I ultimately went with peach sachet because it had the warmth I was looking for and was still light and bright. *Pro tip, painting light colors on textured walls helps to minimize the appearance of the texture.
As far as accessories go, most of this stuff was laying around my house or in my “extra decor cupboard”. The vintage mirror however I may have driven 45 min to pick up from a stranger selling it on Facebook. I reused the ikea legs I had and grabbed a new cheap white top for them. That famous 70’s closet mirror re-imagined as the perfect way to check your whole outfit out before leaving for school and some small accessories on the bookshelf and the space was pulled together and finished.

(We ran out of time for window benches but they are coming)
She had to wait all weekend at the cabin until we came home to see it. Her reaction was perfect and watching her play and organize all of her things in this new space made my mama heart very, very happy.

She is lucky to have a dad that can build her beautiful things and I am so happy we could give her this space to reflect her beautiful and bright personality! If you haven’t thought about giving the gift of “room design” for birthdays or Christmas, you SHOULD!

Hope you all had a merry Christmas and got everything you wanted!
Love you friends!

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

20 Comments

• Reply shannen

where is that cute hamper basket from?

January 3, 2018 at 12:38 PM
  • Reply Jessica

Jade, it is absolutely perfect!!

January 3, 2018 at 12:41 PM
  • Reply Megan Smith

Love her room! I love the desk section. My son has a room without a closet. What are your tips for this??

January 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM
  • Reply Bridget

LOOks so pretty!!! I love the bead board, I’ve been wanting something different for my bathroom, and I think this is it!! Thanks for sharing

January 3, 2018 at 2:54 PM
  • Reply Amanda

Your daughter’s room is absolutely amazing! What an awesome Christmas gift!

January 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM
  • Reply Aubrey

LOVE her room!! I’m moving into my first apartment and I bought a rug that I fell in love with for my living room area but I need to find a few more rugs for other spaces of my apartment that will all be in close proximity to my area rug. My kitchen/living room/dining room are all one room and the rug I bought for my living room has a distressed/boho look to it with a lot of pattern, I need a runner for my hallway and kitchen as well as a small rug for my entry. How do I mix and mingle different rugs close together but still create a cohesive space?

January 3, 2018 at 8:43 PM
  • Reply Kayla (@plaidandpeonies)

Wow so beautiful!! I love all the colors. I’m loving all you’re doing with your blog recently! Happy new year!!❤️❤️

January 3, 2018 at 9:45 PM
  • Reply Stacia

Love love love it!! I had NO idea what to give my always grateful-asks-for-nothing 11 yr old son for Christmas so when I saw what you were doing for her I knew that’s what I had to do! It won’t look nearly as beautiful as yours and we’re going to do it together but I’m SO excited to give this to him! Thanks for the inspiration!!

January 3, 2018 at 10:54 PM
  • Reply Jesseca Sali

It turned out super cute! I love the use of collected and new things. I always tell people that to keep Ikea and Target from looking like an ad, you need to mix in vintage and repurposed. Love.

January 3, 2018 at 11:40 PM
  • Reply Kelly Pickel (littlebluehouseonhillsdale)

What a special gift! I’m a firm believer in experience over material items and this fits the bill for both mother & daughter (giver/receiver) and that’s the best kind of gift! I know you’ll both treasure this for a lifetime. Happy New Year!

January 4, 2018 at 7:13 AM
  • Reply Hayley Brock

Any tips/tricks to spray painting a metal frame!?

Gorgeous room! Love how fresh and bright everything is!

January 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM
  • Reply Kristin

It’s gorgeous!!

January 4, 2018 at 12:39 PM
  • Reply Tiffany

I absolutely love the space it turned out beautiful!!!

January 4, 2018 at 6:58 PM
  • Reply Lindsay Himmer

First, it’s amazing and I wish it was my bedroom, second, is that a fireplace in her room?!?!

January 4, 2018 at 10:08 PM
  • Reply Angelina White

My question is it possible to decorate on a little to no budget. I need to add decor to my walls in my living room and I don’t know how to with such a small budget.

January 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM
  • Reply Jillian Smith

Seriously love everything about this room! Now how can I get a room like this, actually a whole house like this, for myself haha?! But seriously, what’s the best way to pull a room together? I don’t have a lot to work with but what I do have is a mishmash of things that I love and don’t love but can’t afford to replace on our current budget (like couch and loveseat). I know pillows and other accessories will help but when I do go thrifting or shopping for pieces to add I feel like I can’t ever find things that I like, are within budget, or that’ll work in my space. Basically I need you to come to Tulsa and do it all for me!

January 6, 2018 at 9:49 AM
  • Reply Morgan

I love it! Where are the lights next to the bed from?

January 30, 2018 at 9:10 AM
  • Reply Molly

Love this room! Where is the giant mirror from??

March 2, 2018 at 10:46 PM